Thursday, November 10, 2011

Kids Can Have An Anxiety Disorder?

Hello there!
I haven't been here in a hot minute. lol I'm trying to be current with my vocabulary. Actually I wanted to know if there was a list of the acronyms young people use nowadays. I used to be young :( I don't remember getting too old to use "tubular" language. haha. Anyway, I read this article in Parents Magazine about shy kids. Which is so funny, because I used to work with children, before having one of my own. There was a little girl who never spoke and played by herself or with one other girl. The moment she actually spoke I began clapping and saying, "Good job; using your words!" I was so excited I told her mom that she used her words to express her feelings, and her mom said, "Oh yeah, she's a bladder mouth at home. She's always talking." I just thought to myself that maybe she's just not comfortable with me or the amount of students in the room. Well according to this article she could have a socializing problem.
So if you want to read the article its in the November 2011 issue of Parents on page 38. I'm not sure, but maybe you can find it on their website. Now why am I writing about this? You might have a child who's like this and never knew it might be an issue. I, on the other hand, have a child who socializes with all whether it's nicely or evilly. lol!
The proper name for this anxiety disorder is Selective Mutism (SM). It affects "1 in 140 early-school-age kids." Don't worry! It's not like you can't do anything about it, you can! If you don't do anything about it, it might "lead to broader social anxiety." The Child Mind Institute in NYC recommends that you help your kid by practicing a few things that might will help in this "freeze-up" situation. An example they gave in the article was this: If you plan on going out to the ice-cream store, for example, you might want to practice what you want your child to say. Rehearse asking for vanilla on a cone with sprinkles. Then do it a few more times before going to the ice-cream shoppe. After she completed the task, tell her she's a big girl for speaking up and for using her words, and that is wasn't so scary to ask for what she wanted. If you want more information on this check out childmind.org

No comments:

Post a Comment